Posted to alt.home.repair
Floyd L. Davidson Floyd L. Davidson is offline

Default Can I use a dropcord in the pool?

Clark wrote:
(Floyd L. Davidson) wrote in
:
Clark wrote:
You need to learn just a little bit about AC circuits.

Maybe the problem is that I've got several decades of
experience...

And maybe the problem is you have zero experience with AC circuits. It's
fairly obvious to me that you have no experience at all.

Keep trying, but *you* are not making sense.

Try drawing a diagram showing the current density in any
circuit you can think of to match that example. Then
you'll get the picture.

Where exactly is
neutral wire connected? Might the water be in contact with the neutral at
some point?

Sure. Now, how do *you* get yourself between the that
contact and the point where it contacts the hot lead?
That's the only way you will form any kind of a complete
circuit.

Draw the possible paths. Take your time. I'm sure you'll be able to answer
your own question if you just stop and think for a minute.

Might the water be in contact with the ground at some point.

So?

You're the one who claimed the water wasn't grounded. I've pointed out
several ways the water could be grounded. Do try to keep up.

And if the water is "in contact with the ground at some
point", do you think that will cause a complete circuit
through any individual standing in that water??? How?

What do you think the relative resistance of tap water
is per say 5 linear feet?

What you haven't pointed out is how anyone is
necessarily going to be part of a circuit that will
carry more than perhaps microamps.

Might someone be getting in or out of the pool at some point? Might

someone
standing outside the pool hand something to someone in the pool?

So?

Of course it is staged - no one with any sense at all (common or

otherwise)
would pull this type of stunt. Maybe you think its ok but that just means
you have no sense at all.

I've seen essentially the same thing done, live.

And your baseless claim somehow makes it not staged? Of course it doesn't.
It was quite obviously staged for some pictures to put on the internet.
Next up is idiots like you claiming it's ok to do it.

Well, I did *not* say it was "ok to do it". I certainly
would not recommend that *you* try it! :-)

For someone who knows what they're doing, it isn't
exactly dangerous. But for you it clearly would be.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)