Posted to alt.home.repair
Mac[_2_] Mac[_2_] is offline

Default Cracks in basement block walls

"cshenk" wrote in message

"Mac" wrote in message
news:fexnj.3944$ZO5.2798@trnddc03...
Good point. Although they did know enough to "try" and repair some of
the cracks.

Thats doesnt mean much. They could genuinely have thought it was cosmetic
and made cosmetic repairs. You'd have to be able to 'prove' otherwise.

Case in point. I just spent 750$ on a plummer. I split pipes in the cold
due to a defective pipe heater that may have been as much as 20 years old.
The real reason is the roof area it lead to was totally uninsulated yet
that was hidden by a solid plywood 'roof' so no one knew except the
origional owner that he'd installed itt hat way. I am the 3rd owner than
the 2nd one would not have known it either. Both me and the one I bought
from knew there was a pipe heater and to plug it in, but neither knew
there was zero insulation up there.

Just found this on the Illinois Association of Realtors website:

"The Real Property Disclosure Report form is a series of questions intended
to have the homeseller disclose any known material defects about the
property. Under the Act, a material defect is defined as a condition that
would have a substantial adverse effect on the value of the residential real
property".

Of course I guess they could claim that they didn't know the cracks would
affect the value of the house, but knowing what this man used to do for a
living, I'd have to say that's improbable, (I just don't feel right posting
it online).

Also:

"The seller and the seller alone is responsible for completing the
disclosure form and shall be responsible for honestly disclosing only those
matters of which the seller has knowledge".

He knew.