Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Working in Cellulose Insulation...

" wrote:

On Jan 29, 2:11�pm, "Bob F" wrote:
"Felder" wrote in message

ups.com...

Howdy all. Does anyone have a tip for working in an attic covered with
cellulose insulation? We have knob and tube wiring in the attic
covered with mounds of insulation at least 18 inches thick. I need a
way to get the cellulose insulation out of the way so I can trace the
wiring and inspect/replace it. I can't just shovel the stuff out of
the way because of the wiring. I'm tempted to take my leaf blower up
there this weekend and see how that works. Anyway, I'm open for
suggestions.

Broom.

YOU SHOULD NEVER COVER KNOB AND TUBE WITH ANY INSULATION EVER!!

Its past time to rewire your home, and if you have a house fire its
very possible insurance wouldnt cover your loss

Second that, *HUGE* fire risk there. K&T wiring was and still is quite
safe - when it is left as it was when it was installed - all the risk of
K&T comes from people modifying it, over fusing it, burying it in
insulation and other changes.

At this point the only practical thing to do is to vacuum it out with
the biggest shop vac you can get (rent a true industrial one) and empty
the vac'd insulation into some really big moving boxes for temporary
storage. After removing all the insulation, remove all the K&T wiring
and replace it to current code. After the wiring issues are resolved,
rent an insulation blower and plow the insulation back into the attic.

Remember your PPE - Goggles and respirator, as well as gloves, knee pads
and a hard hat (roofing nails to the head hurt).