Posted to alt.home.repair, misc.consumers.house, rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech
z z is offline

Default Automotive floor jacks - bottle or floor jack

On Jan 26, 5:56*pm, "Walter Cohen" wrote:
I want to get one (at least) hydraulic jack to use if I need to change a
flat in my garage or driveway. *The crappy standard equipment jacks that
come in a car I just don't trust.

What is better/easier to use for changing tires (or plain lifting up the
corner of a car) - a hydraulic bottle jack or a hydraulic floor jack? *I
want to be sure also that the car doesn't slip off the jack while I'm
working on the car. *I know I need to also get some jack stands for safety.

Thanks.
Walter

bottle jack's not so great, because as you will note when you try a
floor jack (i assume you mean the big things with the linkage and the
wheels), the car lifts in a bit of an arc around the other wheels,
obviously, which means where the jack meets the car is moving
sideways. therefore, the car jack has wheels and will creep a bit,
rather than tip over.