Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis[_2_] mac davis[_2_] is offline

Default New Nova will be here tonight!

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 17:13:04 -0500, Gerald Ross wrote:

It starts at the second setting. I changed that setting to 450 and the
lower setting to 200, because I found myself changing down for
sanding. So far I have not had the mojo to turn anything at the
highest speed but I have been turning some Christmas tree ornaments at
2500. To me that is really humming. I do not keep the set screw in the
chuck. It stays in a baggie with the allen wrench hanging on a nail. I
only put it in when I know I'm gonna do some reverse sanding. I forgot
to loosen it enough and wound up filing the last thread where I munged
it up.

I decided that 500 was ok, and if I wanted less speed at startup, I could go to
#1 before starting.. The lathes that I'm used to had bottom speeds of 450 &
500..

I changed the last 3 presets to 750, 1,500 & 2,100 for pens and buffing..

The vacuum setup is very strange... a bearing on a tube that just slides into
the handwheel and a hose slides onto that??
I'm sure used to way more exotic setups! lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing