Posted to alt.home.repair
Floyd L. Davidson Floyd L. Davidson is offline

Default Can I use a dropcord in the pool?

Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,
wrote:

On Jan 28, 9:34*am, (Floyd L. Davidson) wrote:
Robert Allison wrote:
Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
Clark wrote:

a wrote innews:rS9nj.43782$fj2.9330@edtnps82:

Terry wrote:

Here is a pic sent to me by a fellow electrician.

http://i27.tinypic.com/2w3dt3s.jpg

I sure hope they are using a GFCI

Staged.

Maybe. Maybe distilled water in the pool? (ok, that's staged too)
Nothing looks "staged", or phoney for that matter.
There is no return path to complete a circuit, as long
as nobody goes to handling those cord with wet hands.
Whether the water is a conductor or not, it is not
grounded... *and thus not a risk.

Well, you can be the first one to do a belly buster into the pool then.

Not a problem. *(Actually, I've set up something fairly
similar to that, and been in the water.)

There is no circuit path through the water, or through any person
in the water (unless you're dumb enough to go up there and grab onto
a wet wire).

I'd say that someone dumb enough to do what was shown in the photo is
likely dumb enough to grab the wet wire. Aside from that, endorsing
this practice by saying "It's not a problem", ignores other very
obvious risks. Like having one foot in the pool, the other on earth
while getting in. Or to grab a beer can being handed to them by
someone standing next to the pool. Or to grab some nearby metal
outside the pool. Or how about if there happens to be a tiny leak in
the pool under a persons foot?

And endorsing this by saying "It's not a problem", assumes everyone
in and around the pool knows the rules of current flow, remembers
those rules while consuming a dozen beers, and doesn't make some
simple mistakes. How about the 8 year old kid who gets into the
pool, while no one is looking?

I have to agree with this thing being staged as a prank. There's nothing
cooking on the grill, and no paraphernalia associated with grilling. The
whole rest of the table space is consumed by beer bottles.

Look at the other pictures of the series.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)