Posted to alt.home.repair
Banty Banty is offline

Default Cracks in basement block walls

In article , cshenk says...

"Mac" wrote

Interesting, I don't thing we have this specific law in place but I will
check. It was the inspector himself who claimed to be a :deal breaker",
my

Harmless to check. You can probably find out from google. If you'll tell
me what state you are in, I can look about too. I might find it faster
because I kinda know what I am looking for.

fault for falling for it. He was not recommended by our agent, I refused
to use hers (and it ticked her off a bit I think).

Most agents get a small kickback for this from the 'inspector'. Before you
think that is horrible, be at ease. As long as they do an honest report,
thats ok. Normally, they do an honest report because they can be held
liable in most places for gross negligence if they do not.

Isn't that always the excuse - kickbacks are OK if the work is goodanyway. :-/
The *problem* is - it's an incentive that works better if the work isn't good
(more for less work) or in the interest of the agent (dishonest). That the
inspection would be good would be in spite of, not because of or even neutral
with regard to, the kickback.

It's well worthwhile for a buyer to get his or her own inspector. Even if it
means hiring one *and* going along with the inspection the agent insists on.

My friend with the home remodeling business told me he didn't know enough
about foundations to be of any help. Too bad, I wanted someone I could

Too bad. I'd have thought he would know enough to at least say 'gee, I can
tell that is really serious' or 'gee, sorry, this level I cant tell if it's
serious or not'

He's honest enough to say that he doesn't have the expertise regarding
foundations. That's a Good Thing.

Banty