Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair
Baron[_2_] Baron[_2_] is offline

Default Difficulty inserting multi-strand wire into holes in HTIB

Ross Herbert wrote:

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 07:46:30 -0800 (PST), wrote:

:My house is pre-wired for 5.1 surround sound with what seems to be
:good quality multi-strand wires.
:
:My "home theater in a box" receives these wires at the back of the
:sub- woofer into small holes with some clip-like plastic things. (I
:am sure you have seen them on most of the audio equipment especially
:where AM/ FM antennae wires go into.)
:
:Last time when I put everything together it took me hours to put
:these wires into those holes because they just don't go in well. I
:had to dismantle everything last week as we were getting some work
:done on the house. Now, I am struggling to reconnect everything. Just
:when I think I did put the wires in and flip the clip, they come out
:with a mild pull. And there is this annoying fibre (probably from the
:sheathing) that comes in the way. Cutting the wires is not an option
:as there isn't much length of wire left.
:
:What do you all do in this situation? (I couldn't find much on the
:Internet - probably I am not using the correct key words.)
:
:Thanks for you time and help.

What you probably need are wire-end or bootlace ferrules
http://www.specialtycontrol.com/Prod...ules/index.cfm

Those are the things that I mentioned.... Just couldn't remember the
name for then.

You will need a crimping tool to make a good quality crimp so that the
pin will fit into the connector but some people get by with other
methods.

--
Regards:
Baron.