Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair
Ian Malcolm Ian Malcolm is offline

Default Difficulty inserting multi-strand wire into holes in HTIB

Ross Herbert wrote:

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 07:46:30 -0800 (PST), wrote:

:My house is pre-wired for 5.1 surround sound with what seems to be
:good quality multi-strand wires.
:
:My "home theater in a box" receives these wires at the back of the sub-
:woofer into small holes with some clip-like plastic things. (I am sure
:you have seen them on most of the audio equipment especially where AM/
:FM antennae wires go into.)
:
:Last time when I put everything together it took me hours to put these
:wires into those holes because they just don't go in well. I had to
:dismantle everything last week as we were getting some work done on
:the house. Now, I am struggling to reconnect everything. Just when I
:think I did put the wires in and flip the clip, they come out with a
:mild pull. And there is this annoying fibre (probably from the
:sheathing) that comes in the way. Cutting the wires is not an option
:as there isn't much length of wire left.
:
:What do you all do in this situation? (I couldn't find much on the
:Internet - probably I am not using the correct key words.)
:
:Thanks for you time and help.

What you probably need are wire-end or bootlace ferrules
http://www.specialtycontrol.com/Prod...ules/index.cfm

You will need a crimping tool to make a good quality crimp so that the pin will
fit into the connector but some people get by with other methods.

Still got short wires though.

Personally I'd mount a nice (but not audiophool) set of binding posts on
a blank electrical faceplate, trim the frayed ends off the wires,
connect them permanently to the back of the faceplate. Wall mount it and
then use off the reel speaker cable to complete the hookup.

I wouldn't trust the clips on the speakers to handle bootlace ferrules,
they rely on the wire being soft enough to give as you flick the clip.

Dressing the end neatly, twisting it together smoothly and soldering the
tip so it doesnt untwist (last 1/16" ONLY) is what I always used to do
for our shop customers and noone ever came back with a complaint.

[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & 32K emails -- NUL: