Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to convert oil boiler to electric (house water heatingsystem)

On Jan 28, 9:14�pm, jim wrote:
On Jan 27, 1:43�pm, neilsanner wrote:

Hi,

My house is heated by an oil boiler (furnace). The boiler heats water
and then a circulator pump circulates the water all over the house to
the baseboards.

Is there a way to / Do you know anyone who did something similar to
this befo
-Make a hole in the boiler
-Insert an electric element
-Connect the element to an aquastat
-The boiler would now be electricity heated!!!

Another way to do this I thought of:
-Buy a small (tank) water heater
-Put it next to the existing oil boiler
-Take the input and output pipes of the oil boiler and connect it to
the input and output of the water heater.

This system would work like that:
�-The water heater would keep the water hot
�-The circulator would start when the thermostat says so
�-The circulator would bring the hot water all over the house until
the heat goes up in the rooms and the thermostat shuts off the
circulator.

Any ideas?
NeilSanner

Cost of electric heat will eventually = oil cost to heat a home. Our
oil fired HWR system kicked the bucket and we installed an oil / wood
burning combo (http://www.kerrheating.com/products/K4C_SS.htm). It's
the cats ass. And with my summer cottage sitting on 21 acres of
harwood forest I'm laughing. The cherry / oak and ash deadfall gets me
enough to do a year. With an additional woodstove on the main floor I
bet I have oil in the tank from last year. If you have a cheap supply
of firewood available I would reccommend this set up.- Hide quoted text -

just for the record.............

with firewood you collect it, cut it, split it, stack it, then carry
it in the house burn it, and carry out the ashes. if you must haul by
truck add fuel costs for that.

now whats the value of your time? plus any fuel used, like chainsaw
gas, oil, and hauling vehicle costs plus depreciation, like extra
miles

you might find out a part time job is more effective use of your time,
than all that firewood handling........ might be less work too