Posted to alt.home.repair
Mac[_2_] Mac[_2_] is offline

Default Cracks in basement block walls

Interesting, I don't thing we have this specific law in place but I will
check. It was the inspector himself who claimed to be a :deal breaker", my
fault for falling for it. He was not recommended by our agent, I refused to
use hers (and it ticked her off a bit I think).
My friend with the home remodeling business told me he didn't know enough
about foundations to be of any help. Too bad, I wanted someone I could
trust. I'll keep looking. I may just pay a structural engineer who doesn't
do the repair himself (although it's possible he would want to make a
recommendation and therefore would be motivated to cry the sky is falling.
See, I'm learning).
The house is actually pretty well landscaped (when there's no snow on the
ground), so I don't need to do a lot there, just manicuring. I do need to
add some dirt/grass to the grade and extend the downspouts a little.
And I don't want to talk about the electrical. All two prong upstairs,
which I knew. But the basement has all three prong outlets. I thought that
was good since I would have my computer down here and GFCI doesn't do any
good with electronics (static electricity and all). However, not one of the
plugs in the basement is grounded. Why would someone wire the basement and
use grounded outlets with two-wire romex? Geez.
Anyway, thanks once again for all the advice. I'm just fighting for may
family's financial well being and my peace of mind.
-Mac

"cshenk" wrote in message

"Mac" wrote

I payed the inspector. My wife kept our egent busy for a few minutes so
I could speak with the inspector alone during the post-inspection walk
through.

That's essential. In my state, the realtor is not allowed to be there
when the inspector discusses the findings but the findings afterwards may
be given to the realtor. In our case, the realtor was there, but not in
the same place (he was out in the back yard).

I *think* I recall that VA state or my local county/city law required the
realtor be advised if there were any actual safety issues discovered.
Those issues then had to be disclosed to any potential buyers until
inspection showed they had been fixed. There were two in our house, but
it was not a major stop. It was the electrical outlet that operated the
garage door opener (2 prong with adapter ungrounded plugged in for a 3
prong device) and the cord for the electric motor for the well pump in the
back yard. We dont use the well pump, and we replaced the garage door and
mechanism with a manual unit to match the new siding.