Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to convert oil boiler to electric (house water heatingsystem)

On Jan 28, 5:49�pm, Boden wrote:
RBM wrote:
Just loosely calculating what I'd need for the equivalent electric BTU
output of my 156500 BTU boiler and it comes to 191 amps @ 240 volt. I don't
know if you'd actually need the full BTU capacity though

"neilsanner" wrote in message

Hi,

My house is heated by an oil boiler (furnace). The boiler heats water
and then a circulator pump circulates the water all over the house to
the baseboards.

Is there a way to / Do you know anyone who did something similar to
this befo
-Make a hole in the boiler
-Insert an electric element
-Connect the element to an aquastat
-The boiler would now be electricity heated!!!

Another way to do this I thought of:
-Buy a small (tank) water heater
-Put it next to the existing oil boiler
-Take the input and output pipes of the oil boiler and connect it to
the input and output of the water heater.

This system would work like that:
-The water heater would keep the water hot
-The circulator would start when the thermostat says so
-The circulator would bring the hot water all over the house until
the heat goes up in the rooms and the thermostat shuts off the
circulator.

Any ideas?
NeilSanner

Your 156500 BTU/hr furnace is probably only delivering only 80% in terms
of indoor heat so 150 amps may be a better limit. �Do it and watch the
pole transformer smoke.

It's getting close to the point where electric heat will make sense.
Here, at 15 cents per kw-hr its only 58% more than #2 oil. �And, I get
almost 100 sq ft back into my shop if I take out the oil tank.

Boden- Hide quoted text -

yeah BUT much electricity is generated by oil and natural gas, so
electricity will continue to go up in price. you will find they are
kinda lockstepped together.

better move is likely insulation