Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default How to convert oil boiler to electric (house water heatingsystem)

On Jan 28, 9:44*am, wrote:
On Jan 28, 8:57*am, "Dr. Hardcrab" wrote:

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

et...

"neilsanner" wrote in message
Hi,

My house is heated by an oil boiler (furnace). The boiler heats water
and then a circulator pump circulates the water all over the house to
the baseboards.

Is there a way to / Do you know anyone who did something similar to
this befo
-Make a hole in the boiler
-Insert an electric element
-Connect the element to an aquastat
-The boiler would now be electricity heated!!!

Since you don't know the difference between a boiler and a furnace, I
doubt you have the skill to do a major conversion like that. *No, you
don't drill any hoes in boilers.

Hint: *Boilers heat water; furnaces heat air

Ed,

You'll never educate non-HVAC people of that. They are always going to call
a boiler a furnace. Actually, the dictionary does not specify whether a
furnace heats the air or water:

* * * * * * fur·nace [ fúrn?ss ] (plural fur·nac·es)
* * * * * * noun

* * * * * * Definition:

* * * * * * 1. enclosure producing great heat: a device in which heat is
produced by burning fuel either to warm a building or to undertake an
industrial process such as smelting metal.

* * * * * * Another pet peeve: Hot Water Heater.

* * * * * * It's a water heater. Why would you heat hot water?- Hide quoted text -

The term "boiler", while most commonly use, had some problems too.
In a steam system, the water does boil. *But it a hot water system,
like the OP clearly has, the water only gets heated, not boiled.- Hide quoted text -

I think some boilers can be used for HW heat