Posted to alt.home.repair
Floyd L. Davidson Floyd L. Davidson is offline

Default Can I use a dropcord in the pool?

Robert Allison wrote:
Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
Clark wrote:

a wrote in news:rS9nj.43782$fj2.9330@edtnps82:

Terry wrote:

Here is a pic sent to me by a fellow electrician.

http://i27.tinypic.com/2w3dt3s.jpg

I sure hope they are using a GFCI

Staged.

Maybe. Maybe distilled water in the pool? (ok, that's staged too)

Nothing looks "staged", or phoney for that matter.
There is no return path to complete a circuit, as long
as nobody goes to handling those cord with wet hands.
Whether the water is a conductor or not, it is not
grounded... and thus not a risk.

Well, you can be the first one to do a belly buster into the pool then.

Not a problem. (Actually, I've set up something fairly
similar to that, and been in the water.)

There is no circuit path through the water, or through any person
in the water (unless you're dumb enough to go up there and grab onto
a wet wire).

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)