Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Owen Lowe Owen Lowe is offline

Default Time to make a bowl (for use in setting a price)

In article
,
tww wrote:

His rule of thumb for turning time assumes you start with seasoned
wood. The rule says to multipliy the diameter of the bowl by the
height. That number is the number of minutes it takes to make a bowl
and is used in calculating how much to charge.

I recently timed how long it took to turn several oak bowls and the
time they took was two to three times the number I got multiplying
diameter times height.

I'm surprised no one pointed out the obvious NASA flaw in your
calculations... 'tisn't Australia on the metric system? Multiply your
figures by 2.54. Tahdah, 2 to 3 times longer.

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild