Posted to alt.home.repair, misc.consumers.house, rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech
larry moe 'n curly larry moe 'n curly is offline

Default Automotive floor jacks - bottle or floor jack

Walter Cohen wrote:

The crappy standard equipment jacks that come in a car I just don't trust.

At least they fit their vehicles well.

I'm no expert, but I don't think OE jacks are that crappy, at least
compared to no-name Chinese scissor jacks. The OE ones I saw were
made in the US, Canada, or Japan, one was rated for 2.25 tons (a ton
more than its car), compared to 1.5 tons for most aftermarket scissor
jacks, the OE metal was thicker, and the screw rods had smooth 90-deg.
threads instead of rough 45-deg. threads (it seemed that the Chinese
jacks used ordinary threaded rod). It wouldn't surprise me if car
makers test the jacks they buy from suppliers more thoroughly than
Chinese jack makers test their own products.

I once tested some Chinese hydraulic floor jacks by raising one corner
of my fairly light car overnight. They all sank 0.5" - 2" overnight.
I tried the same test with my father's ancient Sears compact floor
jack, made in Taiwan, and it didn't sink at all.