Posted to rec.woodworking
clare at snyder.on.ca clare at snyder.on.ca is offline

Default A fun day at Woodcraft

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 06:26:14 -0500, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

wrote

or me. That's more of that arrogance. None of my partners in crime
are that wasteful either. In fact, we used to get together and buy a
couple of cases of beer and rebuild our saws with new bearings, guard
return springs, brushes, and put on 20' power cords on instead of the
factory 8'. We rebuilt and maintained everything we had. In fact, I
remember buying tubes of that white grease for my old Rockwell 346 and
315 saws.
*****************

You really know how to throw a party!

I used to take heavy duty extension cord and wire them directly into my
tools. I also had a spare to two around in case any of the cords became
damaged.

I wonder how much of the present problem with waste disposal could be
addressed by rebuilding and repairing things instead of making everything a
throw away or disposable product.

A very large part.
If americans as a whole would value quality and maintain / repair
instead of throw away and replace cheap, mabee we would still have a
manufacturing industry too.
Business built their business model on selling a LOT of CHEAP product,
rather than good quality - and to keep up in that world, they had to
outsource - so we get Chinese Junk, and it is getting extremely
difficult to find decent tools, or ANYTHING made in North America.
A true craftsman always takes good care of his tools. Any idiot can throw
something away.