Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default How to convert oil boiler to electric (house water heating system)

I've never seen it done, but I suppose if the boiler has a plate where a
domestic coil would go, an element could be fitted into it. It would have to
be pretty high KW to equal the oil burner BTU output, and of course
controlled by a contactor attached to the aquastat, but it could work. You
could also do it with a heat exchanger as you describe, but it's a bit more
complicated.

"neilsanner" wrote in message
Hi,

My house is heated by an oil boiler (furnace). The boiler heats water
and then a circulator pump circulates the water all over the house to
the baseboards.

Is there a way to / Do you know anyone who did something similar to
this befo
-Make a hole in the boiler
-Insert an electric element
-Connect the element to an aquastat
-The boiler would now be electricity heated!!!

Another way to do this I thought of:
-Buy a small (tank) water heater
-Put it next to the existing oil boiler
-Take the input and output pipes of the oil boiler and connect it to
the input and output of the water heater.

This system would work like that:
-The water heater would keep the water hot
-The circulator would start when the thermostat says so
-The circulator would bring the hot water all over the house until
the heat goes up in the rooms and the thermostat shuts off the
circulator.

Any ideas?
NeilSanner