Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Heinz Schmitz Heinz Schmitz is offline

Default Panasonic CT2702UB Hor. lines at top -sometimes

AJ wrote:

Retrace: Persay, would be visable normally throughout the whole screen,

I have an old TV set which regularly shows a few retrace lines at the
top of the screen if it receives a program with videotext data, but is
fine with "normal" programs. I suppose the blank pulse timing is
somewhat disturbed by the videotext signals, which they didn't know
of at the devices creation day.

Having "Foldover" at the top of the raster, indicated initially by the top
portion of the raster being folder over onto the top of the rater. This
symptom is normally caused by a fault in the vertical frame deflection
circuitry, commonly either failing electrolytic capacitors and/or a
defective active vertical deflection devices, be it an ic or descrete
transistors.

Yes. I had that once, the cause being a defective TDA-something.
These get rather hot - more so, if the manufacturer tries to squeeze
out the last nickel by saving on the heat sink.

BTW: Wish I had a nickel for every
defective or leaky electrolytic capacitor that actually cures this specific
symptom,

I can't say that to replace electrolytic caps would have saved me
much work.

Regards,
H.