Posted to rec.woodworking
BDBConstruction BDBConstruction is offline

Default A fun day at Woodcraft

On Jan 27, 12:20*pm, Robatoy wrote:
On Jan 27, 8:50*am, "Bonehenge (B A R R Y)"

wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 06:26:14 -0500, "Lee Michaels"

wrote:
I wonder how much of the present problem with waste disposal could be
addressed by rebuilding and repairing things instead of making everything a
throw away or disposable product.

Right on...

You mentioned extension cords. * Cut cords easily become two shorter
cords with two new plugs from a hardware store. *Some of my handiest
cords are 6 and 8 footers that used to be part of a longer cord. *G

Costco had a 100' 12 ga extension cord on for really cheap. I have no
use for 100' of cord, but bought it anyway with the intent to cut at
25, 25, and 50. Those get use all the time. I bought proper industrial
grade plugs as well. I guess it is a modular 100' cord now? g

For me personally I just have a thing for molded ends. I dont mind the
replacements in a pinch but I have always had trouble with clamp ons
comming loose, they are bulky, and they catch on everything and some
of them can scratch stuff if you are not carefull and they get yanked
on a job. I wouldnt mind them at all in a more static (not moving them
around a lot) application. If you dont mind them its a great way to go
and you'll surely be ahead on price.

What really ticks me, and just happened to me, is when I special order
some nice cords and then the cord still pulls out of the molded end. I
just ordered some, what I thought were, really nice #12 50' cords from
the local DeWalt factory store. I mainly wanted the SJEOW cover that
stays soft even in cold weather. The cords themselves are fantastic,
they lay nice even in single digit temps, but the ends have already
pulled off the jacket. I paid like $65.00 a piece and now I have
$260.00 worth of cords that I am not happy with.

Mark