Posted to rec.woodworking

Default A fun day at Woodcraft

On Jan 26, 8:26*pm, BDBConstruction wrote:

Coming from germany Metabo's customers were of the lot that
handed down their tools from generation to generation. They had a
circlar saw like the old PC that had a grease resivoir to grease the
main bearings. They said every saw that came in for service in the US,
though the option was readily accessible, had never been greased.

I remember a couple of commercial vendors/suppliers here started to
carry the Metabo line. None of us knew anything about them, their
support system, their parts inventory availability... nothing. The
Metabo spokesperson I met had the attittude "we're a company of German
engineers so our product has to be good" so he had trouble with us
nuts and bolts guys. I couldn't give a rat's ass about the
promotional brochure, I KNOW my tools will need servicing and probably
parts. I don't want a tool down for 90 days while they send it from
some far off place to the only authorized dealer in town that can
order parts. If it is a tool I depend on, that part is out of the
question.

use to always reference how tradesman in the US would buy cheap saws
and throw them out when they needed an $8 replacement cord. Thats not
me

or me. That's more of that arrogance. None of my partners in crime
are that wasteful either. In fact, we used to get together and buy a
couple of cases of beer and rebuild our saws with new bearings, guard
return springs, brushes, and put on 20' power cords on instead of the
factory 8'. We rebuilt and maintained everything we had. In fact, I
remember buying tubes of that white grease for my old Rockwell 346 and
315 saws.

I have completely rebuilt a couple of our Milwaukee saws several
times. Brushes, bearings, and so on. A good tool should last a
lifetime but will still require maintenance.

I have a 30 year old Milwaukee saw that has been rebuilt about 5-6
times. Don't know how many brushes or triggers, but it has been more
than a few. Probably about 10 cords, too. But it has seen its last
rebuild. Milwaukee not longer has some of the parts I need, nor does
our local supplier. BUT... I did an end run and bought a "vintage"
Milwaukee like mine that was in perfect condition. Paid the same $125
for it that I did for the old one in 1977.

While I am a super fan of high quality tools Festool has them priced
right out at the edge where we really have to ponder which will make
the best additions to the shop.

Well said. If they made a tool that I HAD to have to work on a job, I
wouldn't think twice about it. If I knew it would make me money and
get on the job and be put to work immediately (and stay there!) I
wouldn't bat an eye. My tightfisted squarehead ass simply won't let
me have tools that don't pull their weight. I am not a collector; but
I do love using nice tools, and like to own them. ONLY if they pay
for themselves though.

I have enough tools that get used once or twice a year that I thought
were going to be real home runs.

I really like the idea of buying a tool you know is going to be a
quality tool that is worth the investment. That's why I bought my
Milwaukees 30+ years ago when I could have bought two of any other
"professional" saws for that price. I knew it would last, and I knew
I could get parts for it.

I hope Festool is here to stay, and that some of the other companies
making tools will take note of their success. It couldn't do anything
but good for all of us.

Robert