Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default fa: atlas and south bend milling attachment for 10/12 inch lathe

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
. ..
Brent wrote:
On Jan 27, 9:01 am, Terry Coombs wrote:
William Noble wrote:
totally blatant shill for an ebay auction of something that is auctally
directly relevant to the interests of this group - no subtelty at all -
no
hidden agenda, just bid the price of this puppy through the ceiling so
I can
buy a small country and retire.
here's the link
The pics on ebay are of the work holding side ? Ya think this will fit
my 10" Logan ? Might save me buying a mill until I actually have room
for one ...
--
Snag

if its for an atlas then there will be a spot for a bolt to go through
it to a T-slot on the compound

if your logan uses a tslot on the compound as well (likely) just make
or purchase a T-nut to fit

Thanks , kinda what I thought . If the 20% off coupon for Horrible Fright
hadn't been bogus , I'd be awaiting delivery of a Big Red Mill in a couple
of weeks and this would be moot .
As it is , I think I will watch this auction . I can't afford enough to
buy a small country , but might manage this item if it doesn't get too
spendy .
--
Snag

As for using the milling attachment instead of a mill, the thing is often
difficult to set up but, with some ingenuity, you can do a lot with it. I
have one on my SB 10L and I used it quite a bit when I was doing more in the
shop.

I've also owned a knee mill and of course there is no comparison in what
they can do. But you may be surprised at how much you *can* do with one of
these gadgets -- and a faceplate on your lathe. Learning to use a faceplate
well is probably more useful, overall, than a small milling attachment.

--
Ed Huntress