Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Automotive floor jacks - bottle or floor jack

Bob Jones wrote:
"Walter Cohen" wrote in message
I want to get one (at least) hydraulic jack to use if I need to change a
flat in my garage or driveway. The crappy standard equipment jacks that
come in a car I just don't trust.

The jack that comes with the car is for changing tires. What's wrong with
that?

What is better/easier to use for changing tires (or plain lifting up the
corner of a car) - a hydraulic bottle jack or a hydraulic floor jack? I
want to be sure also that the car doesn't slip off the jack while I'm
working on the car. I know I need to also get some jack stands for
safety.

Thanks.
Walter

You can get floor jack and jack stands combo. They are cheap.

Agree with the floor jack and jackstands, disagree with the cheap. The
20-buck specials tend to leak down, even when almost brand new. I'm sure
most are made in China these days, but look for one that isn't visibly
leaking past the seals, and has some fit and finish to it. It shouldn't
look like a blacksmith made it out back. As to the jackstands- stuff
that can kill you is no place to cut corners. No cheap cast ones, no
spot-welded thin stamped metal ones. Nothing that shows any bare metal
that will rust, especially in joints.

aem sends...