Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mechanical Magic Mechanical Magic is offline

Default Toolpost grinder

I have a simple sleeve adapter that fits over a HF pencil grinder, to
fit into a 200 series boring bar holder. I replaced the twin bearings
with grade 5 from Mcmaster, now has ~.0005" spindle slop. I don't
consider it a precision tool, but it will remove hard materials. One
of the first jobs was cutting snap ring grooves in hardened pins. A
Dremel cut off wheel did the job well. Small machining of glass and
ceramics is also availabble. One neat option is to buy a long 1/16"
carbide end mill, (electronics stuff), spin it at 60,000 rpm, and then
use it as a boring bar.
Dave

On Jan 25, 3:49 pm, Louis Ohland wrote:
Was looking through a PDF of Advanced Machining Handbook from the
30s, look in a retro way. It had an illustration of a toolpost grinder.
Now it makes sense.

But other than 1,000 and up, who has a serviceable model for less (less,
less) than that?