Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech
Twayne Twayne is offline

Default Automotive floor jacks - bottle or floor jack

I want to get one (at least) hydraulic jack to use if I need to
change a flat in my garage or driveway. The crappy standard
equipment jacks that come in a car I just don't trust.

What is better/easier to use for changing tires (or plain lifting up
the corner of a car) - a hydraulic bottle jack or a hydraulic floor
jack? I want to be sure also that the car doesn't slip off the jack
while I'm working on the car. I know I need to also get some jack
stands for safety.
Thanks.
Walter

Floor jack. Bottle jacks have small lift points, harder to position,
shorter lift, and no give should the car move a quarter inch or so
during the lift, all of which a floor jack makes a lot more forgiving.
Besides, there being types made for the job.

Always block the other wheels, AT LEAST the wheel kitty-corner to the
wheel you're lifting. If lifting a front wheel set the emergency brake.
Always have car in Park for changing tires, never neutral.
Jack stands not usually necessary for changing a tire but a good idea
because "stuff" does happen. Only lift as far as necessary, never more.

Never hi jack,

Twayne

--
Twayne

Tired of MS Office and their shananigans?
Try this free replacement:
http://www.openoffice.org