Posted to alt.home.repair
BETA-32 BETA-32 is offline

Default Light switches in "L"-shaped hallway

That's a great explanation. It makes me want to try it for a similar
problem that I have and haven't been able to figure out.

In my case, I only have two 3-way switches to figure out (no 4-ways). But,
I have knob and tube wiring in my house instead of more modern two-wire
wiring. I'm guessing (hoping) that won't make any difference. I have spent
forever trying to figure mine out and basically had given up.

"Terry" wrote in message

Turn the power off and disconnect all switches.

Turn the power on and use a tester to find the only wire in the bunch
that is hot.

When you find the hot wire, turn the power off and wire the hot wire
to the black screw on the 3-way switch and connect the other two wires
to the other two terminals. (This switch is done)

Turn the power back on and go to the 4-way. One of these wires should
be hot. It will share another wire in the same cable. If you flip
the finished 3-way switch the other wire will become hot. Mark these
two. Turn the power back off and wire these two to the same color
screw terminals on the 4-way switch. Wire the other two wires in the
box to the other two screw terminals of the 4-way switch. (This
switch is done)

Turn the power back on and test the last box. One wire will be hot.
When you flip the switch another wire will go hot. The wire that does
not go hot in either position you will tie it to the black terminal on
the 3-way switch after you turn the power back off. Then wire the
remaining two wires to the other two terminals on the switch. (weekend
project done)

Then, next time, mark the wires or take pictures or do them one at a
time.