Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default Light switches in "L"-shaped hallway

First, go to the 4 way location. You have 4 wires that were on the switch.
Temporarily splice them together white to white, red to red, or whatever
colors you have. Next remove the three wires from each 3 way switch and
separate them. Next turn on electricity and check the three wires at each 3
way location. Only one wire will be hot. That wire goes to the common
terminal of the 3 way switch. Now connect the two other wires of that switch
to the other two terminals. Turn on and off the electric as necessary to be
safe. Now go to the second switch location, and with electric on, determine
which one of those 3 wires is hot. When located, it gets wired to one of the
traveler terminals of the second switch. Now go back to the first switch and
flip it once. Now with electric on determine which of the two remaining
wires at the second location is hot, and connect it to the other traveler
terminal. The final wire goes to the common terminal, and with electric on
the light should work properly from both 3 way switches. Last unsplice the 4
wires at the 4 way location and connect one set to the input and one set to
the output of the switch

"gary" wrote in message
Hi Jim,

All of your comments are excellent and I know that I SHOULD have done
what you've said. But, I didn't.

Given my current situation, I'm looking for help on how to "start from
scratch".

Gary