Posted to alt.home.repair
a a is offline

Default Drill Bit Recommendation

Mike Dobony wrote:
wrote:
On Jan 25, 6:25 pm, G. Morgan wrote:
Mike Dobony wrote:
I just burned up 2 good quality blade type wood bits in this old
house I
am rehabbing (very hard wood and nails)trying to drill holes for
running
my electrical. My guess is to just get a 5/8 metal bit. Any
recommendations on what would work better? Thanks.
Mike D.
Ya need a nail eater auger bit.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...ategory2_6970_...
--

-G

I have a 5/8 Irwin screw-tip auger bit that I have used to drill
through hundreds of studs for pulling electric. Occasionally I hit a
nail or staple, but the bit still pulls through the wood faster than I
can often take it. The screw tip is really key, as it starts the hole
and pulls the bit through. One caution though, if the bit is too long
in the drill, it is tough to fit it between 16"oc studs to get a
straight hole.

Is this the standard auger bit or the triple flute? I see the ship
augers are designed for cutting nails, but the bits are way too long.
6-9" would be best.

Rent a right angle drill and use an auger bit - that combo will fit
anywhere and eat through anything.