Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default Light switches in "L"-shaped hallway

In addition to what S. Barker said: Assuming you noted the "common" terminal
on each three way and transferred the wires to the new switches correctly,
your problem is likely at the 4 way. The in and out terminals won't
necessarily be located in the same position from switch to switch. You'll
have 4 wires on that switch. Each pair of wires will come from different
cables. One set goes to the input and one set to the output which will be
marked on the back of the switch, maybe!!

"S. Barker" wrote in message
You should have replaced the switches with like switches. yes, you'll
have 2-three ways and one 4-way. WHERE the 4-way is , is anybodys guess.
It's the one with 4 wires on it.

"gary" wrote in message
My "L"-shaped hallway has a light switch at the end of each leg, a
switch at the intersection of the legs and a ceiling-light the middle
of each leg.

Originally, the ceiling-lights could be turned on/off from each
switch.

I've replaced the original switches with new switches but now only one
switch operates the ceiling-lights.

Should a three-way switch be installed at each end of the hallway and
the four-way switch be installed at the intersection of the legs? If
the answer is "NO", where should the various switches be installed?

How to I determine what wire gets connected to each terminal of each
switch?