Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Musing ........ rant

In article , Bernardo Gui wrote:

Even if you are a skilled DIY'er, it is good to hire a professional
the first time you do something complex. My pride can allow me to
admit not knowing all of the fine details and techniques of every
possible task in my home improvement projects on the first time that I
do them.

Amen! Part of our kitchen renovation on house 2.0 involved removing a
large window, and filling in the hole. Redwood clapboard siding on the outside
(which I am perfectly competent to repair), and plaster walls on the inside
(which I was not). Patching small holes in plaster walls, sure -- but filling
in a 42x60 inch cavity? Naaah. Especially since the lower 2/3 of the kitchen
walls had a faux-brick pattern tooled into the whitecoat. I hired a pro for
that. And told him, when he came out to quote the job, that one of the
conditions of getting the job was letting me watch, and ask questions, while
he worked.

He agreed. And what I learned from watching and listening was easily worth the
price of the repair.

--
Regards,