Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Heinz Schmitz Heinz Schmitz is offline

Default Panasonic CT2702UB Hor. lines at top -sometimes

(PST) wrote:

This set has what sort of looks like retrace for the first two or
three inches down from the top. I found a 100uf 16V high ESR
electrolytic in the vertical circuit but replacing it didn't seem to
help.

I wonder how often in this NG it is simply advised to replace caps.
Wouldn't I have a general confidence in people, I would have to
suspect that some of the respective authors are cousins, nephews,
husbands, sons, fathers or other relatives of cap manufacturers.

Whereas it may be true, that aged caps do have their share in old
device trouble, this does imho not justify to do trial and error
exchanges without reason.

Please correct me, if I'm wrong in the assumption, that retrace is
blanked by a signal to the CRT, and if that signal is misshaped,
does not arrive in time with necessary amplitude, or meets other
unfavorable conditions at the CRT, then the retrace can become
visible. Thus it would be nice in those instances to sit over the
schematic, follow the path of the blanking signal and to ponder,
what could interfere there.

Regards,
H.