Posted to alt.home.repair
Chip C Chip C is offline

Default Drill Bit Recommendation

On Jan 25, 6:09 pm, Mike Dobony wrote:
I just burned up 2 good quality blade type wood bits in this old house I
am rehabbing (very hard wood and nails)trying to drill holes for running
my electrical. My guess is to just get a 5/8 metal bit. Any
recommendations on what would work better? Thanks.

Mike D.

Until recently my favourite stud and joist bits were Lee Valley's
Short Auger bits (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?
c=2&p=49884&cat=1,180,42240), and they are certainly nice bits, just
the right length for 90% of an electrical project, though occasionally
too short. But then I found a screw-tip spade bit at Canadian Tire
(discount hardware, sporting goods and automotive chain) and it
instantly won me over. Never having used a screw-tip bit before I was
astonished at how it just pulls itself through the wood.

Two caveats: on the older harder joists and studs in this house, my
venerable 3A 3/8" drill won't turn it; and it's really crummy at
clearing its own chips. Often I can't pull it back through the hole it
just drilled, I have to unchuck it and push it through, and clear the
hole with a screwdriver.

I'm thinking that a screw-tip auger bit, as others have recommended,
would be the best choice overall. There are also screw-feed bits
called "selfeed" but at a glance I'm not seeing these smaller than 1".

Chip C
Toronto