Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] basscadet75@yahoo.com is offline

Default Musing ........ rant

On Jan 25, 3:02 pm, "SteveB" wrote:
Why do some people think they're worth so much?

Simple: because those are the prices people are willing to pay.

A contractor can't stay in business if nobody will hire them. So the
fact that so many contractors exist, and have existed for many years,
makes it pretty obvious that people are willing to pay for them. The
people who tell contractors what they're "worth" are their customers.

And they pay those prices because a lot of people just don't want to
be bothered. What's wrong with that? I'd probably hang those doors
and install those locks myself too, but there are other things I
probably wouldn't do. (Installing windows, for instance, or a new
roof.) Who's to tell me what things I "should" do myself? There are
things we're all comfortable with and other things we're not and those
things are different for everybody. And if I feel like hanging doors
and installing trim and locksets is worth $1,500, then maybe I'll pay
that. If I don't, I won't.

So you're good at hanging doors and don't need a contractor. Good for
you. But nothing wrong with someone else who feels differently about
it.