Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kevin Kevin is offline

Default PING Robo Hippy re shear cutting

To Steve, and others willing to answer,
I am pretty much a self-taught turner who has learned most of how to
do things
from this newsgroup and several books.
I took a look at the two videos regarding shear cutting and have a
couple questions
and my own attempts to answer them.
You show that when shear cutting with a scraper you actually tilt the
scraper at a 45
degree angle. Two things came to mind. First, what about the amount
of torque that
would be applied to the scraper? Wouldn't that require a 'death grip'
on the handle?
Second was the damage that could be done to the tool rest as the
scraper is run across it.
Then I thought a bit more about possible answers. Would the amount of
torque be rather
negligible as the cuts made are very light? Second, would it be
correct to assume that the
edges on the scraper are rounded so as to lessen any damage that would
be done to
the tool rest?

Thanks in advance.

On Jan 22, 1:03 pm, Steve Russell
wrote:
Hello Tom,

Take a look at these two short video clips from my website on shear cutting
on the outside and inside of a bowl. The tool I'm using is a bull nose
scraper on the inside and a dedicated shear scraper on the exterior.

If you have an Irish grind bowl gouge, you could use that to shear scrape on
the exterior, but you still need something curved for shear scraping the
interior.

I'm a big proponent of shear scraping and use it frequently in my studio to
reduce the amount of abrasives needed and to refine the shape of the
project. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask...

Link to videos:

http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com...ideo-tips.html
--
Better Woodturning and Finishing Through Chemistry...

Steven D. Russell
Eurowood Werks Woodturning Studio, The Woodlands, Texas
Machinery, Tool and Product Testing for the Woodworking and Woodturning
Industries