Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ron Lowe Ron Lowe is offline

Default flexible copper pipe "plumb sticks" or pipe bending

"Fred" wrote in message
Hello,

What are your thoughts on these flexible "plumb sticks"? I was
wondering whether to use one as I have an S-shape to fit and its near
to the boiler so I cannot use plastic.

I've seen these flexible pipes in Focus, B&Q, etc. would they be
suitable? Are there any problems with using them?

They seem to work OK, but every installation I've ever seen with them looks
like an amateurish bodge. I'm sure there may be reasons to use them, but
I've never come across one.

Does anyone else sell them? The ones in the shops are 350mm which is
bigger than I really need. Google hasn't been much help. Does anyone
sell shorter ones?

Don't know.

If not, how easy is it to put an S bend into 22mm copper? I've never
used a pipe bender before.

Depends on the pipe bender.
A proper pipe bender will make a good job, and won't collapse the pipe.
A springy thingy will make a poor job and dislocate your kneecap into the
bargin.
http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-...5fee0e5c98d465

Even with a proper pipe bender, it can be difficult to fabricate a piece
with multiple bends in different plains close to one another. It requies
practice, and a bit of experience to know what order to pull the bends in,
so as to be able to fit the work-piece back into the bender for the next
bend. You also need to learn where to position the pipe in the former to
achieve the bend in the place you want....
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/plumbing/Pi...%20(BillP).pdf

Practice on some old off-cuts first. Bend slightly further than required,
it will spring back a wee bit.

Try to design the pipe layout to minimise the tortuosity of the pipework,
and consider where elbows would be acceptable as well as radiused bends.

--
Ron