Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default Sanding disk on lathe

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 18:49:05 GMT,
(Bart V) wrote:

My lathe has been doing double duty as a disk sander. A slab of
hardwood on the face plate with a slice of MDF to provided a nice and
true flat surface. I've been using contact cement, the rubbery stuff,
to glue a sheet of sanding paper on the MDF but it's a pain changing
the paper with the glue gumming up and all. I sand small pieces of
hardwood and the surface of a hook & loop setup does not suit my
needs.
I wonder if anyone has any suggestions for a more suitable type of
glue/cement that lets go more easily when changing paper.
Thanks,
Bart.

I think if I were to do this on my lathe, I'd find a backer pad for
adhesive discs with an arbor, and then mount it in the machine with a
jacob's chuck. I do a lot of buffing like that, and it works well-
and it would also allow you to mount spindle sander drums in there, if
you decided you needed them at some future point.