Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Sanding disk on lathe

My lathe has been doing double duty as a disk sander. A slab of
hardwood on the face plate with a slice of MDF to provided a nice and
true flat surface. I've been using contact cement, the rubbery stuff,
to glue a sheet of sanding paper on the MDF but it's a pain changing
the paper with the glue gumming up and all. I sand small pieces of
hardwood and the surface of a hook & loop setup does not suit my
needs.
I wonder if anyone has any suggestions for a more suitable type of
glue/cement that lets go more easily when changing paper.
Thanks,
Bart.
-
**botox treatments: taxidermy on the living**

Email replies via: www.haruteq.com/contact.htm
awesome banjo bridges, tabs, stained glass:
=== www.haruteq.com ===
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In message , Bart V
writes
My lathe has been doing double duty as a disk sander. A slab of
hardwood on the face plate with a slice of MDF to provided a nice and
true flat surface. I've been using contact cement, the rubbery stuff,
to glue a sheet of sanding paper on the MDF but it's a pain changing
the paper with the glue gumming up and all. I sand small pieces of
hardwood and the surface of a hook & loop setup does not suit my
needs.
I wonder if anyone has any suggestions for a more suitable type of
glue/cement that lets go more easily when changing paper.
Thanks,
Bart.
-

Have you tried Spray mount or similar, the spray used for mounting
photographs. From memory there are temporary and permanent versions but
from what I remember if has good adhesion against sheer.
--
John
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Why not switch to PSA (Pressure Sensitive Adhesive)
---"sticky-back"disks? They have the adhesive on the backside and it
stays there when you remove it. There are also several kinds of
temporary fastening systems like Hook-it, etc.

After offering this advice, I note that I still use that old fashioned
system with the hard-to-remove adhesive on my 9" disk sander just
because I have bunch of the old style disks left.
Maybe I will go out to the shop right now and toss out those disks.
Then I will probably change disks a lot more often rather than using
them when mostly worn out!

Pete Stanaitis
-----------------

Bart V wrote:

My lathe has been doing double duty as a disk sander. A slab of
hardwood on the face plate with a slice of MDF to provided a nice and
true flat surface. I've been using contact cement, the rubbery stuff,
to glue a sheet of sanding paper on the MDF but it's a pain changing
the paper with the glue gumming up and all. I sand small pieces of
hardwood and the surface of a hook & loop setup does not suit my
needs.
I wonder if anyone has any suggestions for a more suitable type of
glue/cement that lets go more easily when changing paper.
Thanks,
Bart.
-
**botox treatments: taxidermy on the living**

Email replies via: www.haruteq.com/contact.htm
awesome banjo bridges, tabs, stained glass:
=== www.haruteq.com ===

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I use a 3M spray adhesive, I think #377 but I am not in the shop right now,
and it works well. You should be able to get it at the nearest auto supply
if not the hardware. I have even seen it in the craft shops, but not as
reliably.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Bart V wrote:

My lathe has been doing double duty as a disk sander. A slab of
hardwood on the face plate with a slice of MDF to provided a nice and
true flat surface. I've been using contact cement, the rubbery stuff,
to glue a sheet of sanding paper on the MDF but it's a pain changing
the paper with the glue gumming up and all. I sand small pieces of
hardwood and the surface of a hook & loop setup does not suit my
needs.
I wonder if anyone has any suggestions for a more suitable type of
glue/cement that lets go more easily when changing paper.
Thanks,
Bart.
-
**botox treatments: taxidermy on the living**

Email replies via: www.haruteq.com/contact.htm
awesome banjo bridges, tabs, stained glass:
=== www.haruteq.com ===

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Joe Joe is offline

"Bart V" wrote in message
My lathe has been doing double duty as a disk sander. A slab of
hardwood on the face plate with a slice of MDF to provided a nice and
true flat surface. I've been using contact cement, the rubbery stuff,
to glue a sheet of sanding paper on the MDF but it's a pain changing
the paper with the glue gumming up and all. I sand small pieces of
hardwood and the surface of a hook & loop setup does not suit my
needs.
I wonder if anyone has any suggestions for a more suitable type of
glue/cement that lets go more easily when changing paper.
Thanks,
Bart.
-
**botox treatments: taxidermy on the living**

Email replies via: www.haruteq.com/contact.htm
awesome banjo bridges, tabs, stained glass:
=== www.haruteq.com ===

i just use a 12" psa disk and a crepe stick to clean the disk. Haven't had
to change the paper yet

jc

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

carrying it one step further, have you
guys built some kind of support around
this configuration or just talking about
a hand held setup?
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Sorry
I thought we were talking about a sanding disk that mounted on the lathe
headstock. I made a box that straddelled the ways for a platform. worked
great before I got my belt/disk sander and I assume it still does.

--
"Max63" wrote in message
carrying it one step further, have you
guys built some kind of support around
this configuration or just talking about
a hand held setup?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Max63 writes:

carrying it one step further, have you
guys built some kind of support around
this configuration or just talking about
a hand held setup?

I have a Jet 1236, and the ways are square. I glued together some
2x10 pine, cut two dados on the bottom, and one on the top.

The top just fits a small miter gauge fence I have.

I glued two pieces of 3/4" ply to the bottom into the two dados,
after cutting them so they "just" fit the ways of my lathe.

I can
1) screw on the sanding disk (using Bill Noble faceplates)
2) Drop the platform on the lathe
3) push it snug (it doesn't wobble)
4) Add the miter fence

It was a fast project to do, other than waiting for glue to dry. It's
easy to put on and take off.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Jan 22, 2:49 pm, (Bart V) wrote:
My lathe has been doing double duty as a disk sander. A slab of
hardwood on the face plate with a slice of MDF to provided a nice and
true flat surface. I've been using contact cement, the rubbery stuff,
to glue a sheet of sanding paper on the MDF but it's a pain changing
the paper with the glue gumming up and all. I sand small pieces of
hardwood and the surface of a hook & loop setup does not suit my
needs.
I wonder if anyone has any suggestions for a more suitable type of
glue/cement that lets go more easily when changing paper.

You can buy sanding disks with adhesive already on the back.

My advise though would be to use the best possible abrasive you can
find so that they don't need changing often. You need something
designed for machine use, probably not something you use for hand
sanding.

I have a disk permanently mounted on an old lathe. I use abrasive on
some real heavy duty backing. It came off of one of those big wide
sanders they use in cabinet shops. It doesn't get a whole lot of use,
but it's been years since I changed it. I use the same stuff flat on
the bench to hone skew chisels.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Thanks for all the suggestions folks, greatly appreciated.
The woods I sand are all hard, hard woods. A lot of it is teak and
it's as rough on the paper as it it on the sawblade and chisels...
Yes, I do use the crepe stick as well but the sanding paper gets
"shiney" after a while. I use the Norton 3X aluminum oxide paper and I
found it really does last a lot longer than the standard paper. The
normal self-adhesive round paper just don't cut it on the woods I use.
They're only small pieces of wood and the final dimensions for them
are quite delicate and important so the coursest I can use safely is
150 grit. In case you're wondering what I'm up to take a peek at this
page: http://haruteq.com/BR-08.htm

Bart.
P.S. Leo - I'll be going to the Hamilton woodshow [most likely] on
Friday, will you be going?
-
**botox treatments: taxidermy on the living**

Email replies via: www.haruteq.com/contact.htm
awesome banjo bridges, tabs, stained glass:
=== www.haruteq.com ===
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Bart, I can tell by your web site that you know this, but someone
might not. Used fractional hp motors are so easy to come by that to tie
up a lathe seems counter productive. Motors for washing machines,
furnace blowers, etc are often available for a gifted turning at a shop
or free at the curb. A Harbor Freight work arbor with washers and a
Jacob's chuck threaded to fit and you're set up.

I enjoyed your site and learned from it. Banjo bridges. Now that's a
speciality, you ought to add drumsticks and batons.

I'm musing several electron rings outside the nucleus, but I wonder if
the wave form & frequency transmitting characteristics of different
timbers and of different physical states of the same timber affect
turning characterisics. Could a variable frequency & waveform generator
and an O-scope tell us something useful about turning blanks that
personal experience, asking rcw and common sense doesn't? I doubt it,
but wondering on rcw is still tax free ...for now.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

LATHE DISK SANDER J T Woodworking 0 September 23rd 06 04:15 AM
Sanding a perfect circle on a disk sander jtpr Woodworking 7 February 28th 06 01:51 PM
DIY - Lathe Based 10" Disk Sander Greg G. Woodturning 10 December 27th 05 04:31 AM
DIY - Lathe Based 10" Disk Sander Greg G. Woodworking 6 December 25th 05 07:21 PM
wave sanding disk quality william kossack Woodturning 2 March 8th 04 11:32 AM