Posted to rec.woodworking
lerameur lerameur is offline

Default plywood or presswood

On Jan 23, 4:57 am, "dadiOH" wrote:
lerameur wrote:
yes you are correct, there is only glue holding them together now,
You can see from the first picture that the left and right column
are thicker blocks. It is as suck to hide theplywoodonce the
table is flipped over. It will act as a counter top and cutting
board. Now the table is a bit warped, I wetted it down again and
added some weights. k

It looks like you *really* wet it down. My best advice is...

STOP DOING THAT

As thick as that is - and as wet as it appears you have made it - it
is going to take weeks if not months to dry out and reach some
semplance of stability.

To get it dry again, put a layer of brown wrapping paper on something
flat; put your project on the paper; put another layer of paper on
top; put a sheet ofplywoodon the very top and add wrights. Concrete
blocks would work. Tomorrow, unpack all, throw away the papers from
top and bottom; turn the project over and repeat with new paper. Do
that every day; flipping it each day, until such time as it is truly
dry - as I said, that will be weeks.

Once it is dry (next summer?) afix it toplywoodby bedding it in a
layer of mastic such as liquid nails, silicone caulk, et al.
Additionally, screw through theplywoodinto it. Use LOTS of screws
and drive them at a steep angle so they penetrate at least an inch
into the blocks. If the blocks have any tendency to warp, theplywood
will NOT keep them from doing so. Hell, ply warps and twists all by
itself without help from anything. That means you would be best off
firmly affixing the finished project - blocks + ply - to the existing
countertop or removing the existing one and replacing it with your
butcher block top. The latter option is the more logical IMO.

well the board is dry now, but wow, major twist to it.
look at the pics
http://www3.sympatico.ca/lerameur/Bu...lock/side1.jpg
http://www3.sympatico.ca/lerameur/Bu...lock/side2.jpg
I really dont know how to straighten this, plus it has 4 major crack
from the glue that got undone.
Why did it bend so much ? was i applying to much force when I was
glueing the pieces together?