Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Derek A Derek A is offline

Default Sanding disk on lathe

On Jan 22, 2:49 pm, (Bart V) wrote:
My lathe has been doing double duty as a disk sander. A slab of
hardwood on the face plate with a slice of MDF to provided a nice and
true flat surface. I've been using contact cement, the rubbery stuff,
to glue a sheet of sanding paper on the MDF but it's a pain changing
the paper with the glue gumming up and all. I sand small pieces of
hardwood and the surface of a hook & loop setup does not suit my
needs.
I wonder if anyone has any suggestions for a more suitable type of
glue/cement that lets go more easily when changing paper.

You can buy sanding disks with adhesive already on the back.

My advise though would be to use the best possible abrasive you can
find so that they don't need changing often. You need something
designed for machine use, probably not something you use for hand
sanding.

I have a disk permanently mounted on an old lathe. I use abrasive on
some real heavy duty backing. It came off of one of those big wide
sanders they use in cabinet shops. It doesn't get a whole lot of use,
but it's been years since I changed it. I use the same stuff flat on
the bench to hone skew chisels.