Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch Arch is offline

Default Turned Piece The End Point OR A Step To The End Point?

Hi charlie, Thanks for explaining what a "Krenovian" is. I dislike
eponyms and never use them. They send me to Webster!

That turned wood is becoming popular among turners to use as a mere
'canvas' or 'case' to make beautiful objects on or out of is not to
worry. In woodturning what was outrageous last year is old hat this
year. Piercing a vase, painting a plate, plaiting a platter or burning
a bowl was once either awful or avant garde according to the moment. Now
these techniques are common place and are becoming a mere ground or wash
to prepare the canvas (wood) for the real embellishment to come.

I ask you, "Where will it all end"? I suspect that "this too will pass"
and the day will come when much of what's again considered our best work
will cllimb down from the gallery shelf and go back home. Wood bowls
will once again hold lettuce, wood candle sticks will hold candles and
wood pepper mills will again produce the wonderful aroma of freshly
ground pepper corns on that lettuce. Past really is prologue, just you
wait and see, Mr. & Ms. current famous artist.

I hope that happy day doesn't happen too soon. I enjoy seeing the
envelope pushed as far as it can go and I can't wait to see what's
beyond the present popularity of piercing, cutting up, reassembling and
general mayhem. For now and for me whatever becomes this year's leading
edge beats looking at another pic of a maple bowl, no matter how much
knee- kick keening and praise it engenders. Of course my opinions re
woodturning and my actual turnings might resemble a chameleon.

Handsome exposed grain, symmetrical forms, shiny surfaces and skinny
walls will rise again, but I hope not just yet.

Why not enjoy going to the otherside of the the hill Charlie? IMHO the
buzz will be there when you get back and you will have had the fun of
turning to a different drummer. Since you asked, the buzz is always
there waiting for me as is the buzz of mixing metaphors and the
occasional martini. I just hope Robert doesn't drizzle pretty sauces
and curled radishes all over the food and plates when he cooks fancy.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter