Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate Darrell Feltmate is offline

Default Sanding disk on lathe

I use a 3M spray adhesive, I think #377 but I am not in the shop right now,
and it works well. You should be able to get it at the nearest auto supply
if not the hardware. I have even seen it in the craft shops, but not as
reliably.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
"spaco" wrote in message
Why not switch to PSA (Pressure Sensitive Adhesive) ---"sticky-back"disks?
They have the adhesive on the backside and it stays there when you remove
it. There are also several kinds of temporary fastening systems like
Hook-it, etc.

After offering this advice, I note that I still use that old fashioned
system with the hard-to-remove adhesive on my 9" disk sander just because
I have bunch of the old style disks left.
Maybe I will go out to the shop right now and toss out those disks. Then
I will probably change disks a lot more often rather than using them when
mostly worn out!

Pete Stanaitis
-----------------

Bart V wrote:

My lathe has been doing double duty as a disk sander. A slab of
hardwood on the face plate with a slice of MDF to provided a nice and
true flat surface. I've been using contact cement, the rubbery stuff,
to glue a sheet of sanding paper on the MDF but it's a pain changing
the paper with the glue gumming up and all. I sand small pieces of
hardwood and the surface of a hook & loop setup does not suit my
needs.
I wonder if anyone has any suggestions for a more suitable type of
glue/cement that lets go more easily when changing paper.
Thanks,
Bart.
-
**botox treatments: taxidermy on the living**

Email replies via: www.haruteq.com/contact.htm
awesome banjo bridges, tabs, stained glass:
=== www.haruteq.com ===