Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default cement laundry sink leaks at drain

Pete C. wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:

beecrofter wrote:

On Jan 21, 6:14 pm, Nate Nagel wrote:

Hi again,

after this weekend's floor stripping extravaganza, I have an ugly but
eat-off-it clean cement floor in my laundry room, which makes me happy.
As a result of this, I think I've determined where the musty smell was
coming from - it's not the washing machine as SWMBO suspected (I think
she just wants an excuse to buy a new one, not that I'd need one if she
really wanted it) but from the drain of the deep sink. Due to the slope
of the slab, it was all running under the tiles to the corner under the
washing machine, thus incriminating the innocent appliance.

Upon investigation it appears that this cement deep sink, which is
absolutely huge, heavy, and otherwise in good condition, has a leak
around the drain assembly, which appears to be a piece of steel cast
into the sink, and the water is apparently running down the outside of
the drain assembly and dripping off the P-trap.

My plan, which is the best I could improvise on short notice, is to
chuck up a knotted wire wheel in my 4" grinder, knock off most of the
rust, prep with phosphoric acid, and smear some roofing tar around the
offending area, possibly including some scraps of screen for
reinforcement. Good plan? Bad plan?

I really don't want to replace this sink as it's enormous and quite
handy, and like most other ancient, huge, useful things probably
impossible to find a direct replacement.

I'd appreciate opinions and any experience as the faucet is leaking as
well, and rather than buy a new faucet for this sink (it clamps on the
edge of the sink and attaches to the water lines with unions from above,
quite unlike the faucets you'd use with a new sink) if the sink is
hopeless I may as well bite it and buy a new, modern sink and faucet to
match all at once.

thanks,

nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

You can probably run new fittings through the concrete and use
hydraulic cement to imbed them in the original concrete. A bit of a
chore to do but worth the effort.
Around here "Rockite" was a brand that worked for such tasks.

forgot to mention, it's a double sink but the drains are connected
within the concrete to a single tailpiece. I'd have to core drill both
sides to do as you suggest, and I'm not sure that I have enough room to
bring two p-traps together and hook up to the exiting drain stack (tees
out of the stack above the slab) but thanks for the idea, it is
something to think about if all else fails.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

I hate to say it, but it sounds like you're going to end up putting a
lot of effort into what will still be a patched together antique. If
that drain section has failed, there are probably other parts about to
fail. Installing a new fiberglass laundry tub, or even a pair of them
epoxied together would probably be a lot faster and easier. Or go all
out and go to a restaurant supply house that deals in used equipment and
get a beautiful triple basin stainless sink

oh, let's not go there. Last time I went to one of those places I ended
up spending lots of money on some stainless Metro-style freezer shelving
for the garage... chrome is nice but stainless is forever

SWMBO still refers to that place as "that scary place you dragged me to"
but even she has to admit that those shelves are the right tool for the job.

nate

(if they can hold up tons of lard, butter, cheese, etc. they can hold up
tons of transmissions, cylinder heads, etc...)