Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Washing machine motor tripping RCD?

T i m wrote:
On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 22:02:03 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

The next step may be to try and strip the motor further and see if I
can get the stator coil out and see if I can see / measure anything?

Any other thoughts / ideas please?

Don't waste your time. I did all that, and nothing was apparent. Put in
a new motor, and hey presto, megohms or better.

Hmm, well I was working on the thought that a new motor would be
'expensive' and potentially the time to retire the machine.
IIRC it was ALSO about 18k..odd asint it.

It is isn't it.
Of a crap hoover machine..

Well the motor on this one actually says AEG .... I was sort of
expecting it to say Zanussi ..

p.s. I guess if it was on the non RCD side of my CU I wouldn't even
know there was a problem (well, till it caught fire or whatever)?

I know what you mean. It happened suddenly and irrevocably on ours.My
guess was insulation had broken down under some kind of vibration.

The actual windings are very low ohms of course (7 or so) so this 18k
obviously isn't a winding directly shorting on the frame so insulation
breakdown seems likely, however, I'm still hoping that there is some
carbon brush build up actually between where the flex joins the
winding and that a wash off might sort it (I said hopefully ...) ;-)

XCHG price on a new was about 50 notes. Less hassle than spending hours..

Ah, if it was only that (all in) then you might be right ... and if it
gives us another couple of years ...

Where did you get yours from please?

A tiny man in a tiny shop off the Exning road in Newmarket, Suffolk.

The point being that if you totally destroy it in an effort to find the
problem, it may not be part exchangeable.

Which reminds me. I have a radio stat thats ceased to deliver its all.

Must go and slap some DC on ot and see what gives..

All the best ..

T i m