Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Washing machine motor tripping RCD?

Hi All,

The washing machine (AEG Lavamat 6100 Digitronic), seeing the recent
attention the tumble dryer has had (when I replaced it's bearings) has
decided it want's some TLC and started tripping the RCD, again. ;-(

It did it a while good ago when a good blow through with the air line
and a new pair of brushes had it running ok (I changed the bearings
and seal a few years before that).

So, with the motor earth isolated from 'earth' all runs ok, earth the
motor and the RCD trips. With the motor running I generally see ~30VAC
between the motor chassis and ground.

The fault seems to between the field coils (stator?) and earth,
measuring around 18k ohms on my DMM, even after another good blow
through with an air line.

I am wondering if some carbon has got down to where the external
wiring joins the stator windings and is conducting to the motor frame?

The next step may be to try and strip the motor further and see if I
can get the stator coil out and see if I can see / measure anything?

Any other thoughts / ideas please?

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. I guess if it was on the non RCD side of my CU I wouldn't even
know there was a problem (well, till it caught fire or whatever)?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message
[...]

IINAE, but if I was I reckon the inventor of the RCD will gave contributed

significantly to my annual income :-)

When I had the same problem it was carbon deposits on the plastic
brush-carriers.
With the action you have outlined you will find the cause easily.

--
Graham

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:
[...]

Don't waste your time. I did all that, and nothing was apparent. Put in
a new motor, and hey presto, megohms or better.

IIRC it was ALSO about 18k..odd asint it.

Of a crap hoover machine..

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. I guess if it was on the non RCD side of my CU I wouldn't even
know there was a problem (well, till it caught fire or whatever)?

I know what you mean. It happened suddenly and irrevocably on ours.My
guess was insulation had broken down under some kind of vibration.

XCHG price on a new was about 50 notes. Less hassle than spending hours..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:
"T i m" wrote in message
[...]

In my case it wasn't. I had a meter across just the coils and frame. 18k.

So don't expect too much.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 20:48:15 -0000, "Graham." wrote:

When I had the same problem it was carbon deposits on the plastic
brush-carriers.

Hmm, well I think they were new when I did similar last and certainly
they are much much younger than when it happened the first time from
new. Today I gave them a good wipe over and like I said, there seems
to be no measurable resistance between the brushes / rotor and the
motor ground (in contrast to the stator and ground). :-(

With the action you have outlined you will find the cause easily.

Well I think I have found the general area but not the cause per-se.

FWIW I would like to carefully take the motor further apart and just
see if I can see where 18K could exist.

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 22:02:03 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

The next step may be to try and strip the motor further and see if I
can get the stator coil out and see if I can see / measure anything?

Any other thoughts / ideas please?

Don't waste your time. I did all that, and nothing was apparent. Put in
a new motor, and hey presto, megohms or better.

Hmm, well I was working on the thought that a new motor would be
'expensive' and potentially the time to retire the machine.

IIRC it was ALSO about 18k..odd asint it.

It is isn't it.

Of a crap hoover machine..

Well the motor on this one actually says AEG .... I was sort of
expecting it to say Zanussi ..

p.s. I guess if it was on the non RCD side of my CU I wouldn't even
know there was a problem (well, till it caught fire or whatever)?

I know what you mean. It happened suddenly and irrevocably on ours.My
guess was insulation had broken down under some kind of vibration.

The actual windings are very low ohms of course (7 or so) so this 18k
obviously isn't a winding directly shorting on the frame so insulation
breakdown seems likely, however, I'm still hoping that there is some
carbon brush build up actually between where the flex joins the
winding and that a wash off might sort it (I said hopefully ...) ;-)

XCHG price on a new was about 50 notes. Less hassle than spending hours..

Ah, if it was only that (all in) then you might be right ... and if it
gives us another couple of years ...

Where did you get yours from please?

All the best ..

T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The actual windings are very low ohms of course (7 or so) so this 18k
obviously isn't a winding directly shorting on the frame so insulation
breakdown seems likely, however, I'm still hoping that there is some
carbon brush build up actually between where the flex joins the
winding and that a wash off might sort it (I said hopefully ...) ;-)

I too would be inclined to try giving the stator windings a wash down, you
have nothing to loose. It might be as simple as the exposed bare wire at the
joint - as per your own suggestion. Out of curiosity, what fluid were you
thinking of using for the actual 'wash'?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 22:54:09 -0000, "Harry Bloomfield"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

The actual windings are very low ohms of course (7 or so) so this 18k
obviously isn't a winding directly shorting on the frame so insulation
breakdown seems likely, however, I'm still hoping that there is some
carbon brush build up actually between where the flex joins the
winding and that a wash off might sort it (I said hopefully ...) ;-)

I too would be inclined to try giving the stator windings a wash down, you
have nothing to loose.

Apart from time and I have more of that than money at the moment ;-)

It might be as simple as the exposed bare wire at the
joint - as per your own suggestion.

Or even a loose insulating sleeve with carbon powder stuck up it and
across to the motor frame. I think the stator is sitting on a plastic
bobbin so in theory it shouldn't be in direct contact with the motor
frame anywhere and ignoring this RCD issue seems to run ok.

Out of curiosity, what fluid were you
thinking of using for the actual 'wash'?

Good question Harry. This morning I had intended buying some paraffin
and a metal bucket (or finding a suitable metal / fuel proof
container) and giving the whole motor a good dunking.

Or wondering if I could afford an ultrasonic tank big enough to hold
the complete motor.

Instead I blew it through with my mates airline and washed the
business end out with some brake cleaner (I think it has naphtha as
one of the ingredients) and that seemed to work ok. After I had dried
/ blown it out I re greased the brush end bearing (spray grease in
beside the bearing shield) and span it up to work the grease in and
re-fitted the cleaned / blown out brush holders (and that cct measures
ok).

I initially thought I needed something cheap / safe enough to be able
to submerge the entire motor that would neither affect the insulation
nor plastic bits but be 'solventy' enough to shift the carbon (hence
the paraffin)?

What would you suggest?

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. I think I've found a couple of site selling new motors and they
are around 220 quid! I wonder if a local motor 're-winder' would do it
cheaper?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

A tiny man in a tiny shop off the Exning road in Newmarket, Suffolk.

The point being that if you totally destroy it in an effort to find the
problem, it may not be part exchangeable.

Which reminds me. I have a radio stat thats ceased to deliver its all.

Must go and slap some DC on ot and see what gives..

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 00:18:06 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Where did you get yours from please?

A tiny man in a tiny shop off the Exning road in Newmarket, Suffolk.

Hmm, that's only a gallon away from Norf Lundin in the Rover. ;-)

The point being that if you totally destroy it in an effort to find the
problem, it may not be part exchangeable.

Understood. However I am generally very careful with such things ..
make suitable marks so it can all go back together etc. The bottom
line is that if I *knew* there was an exchange motor out there for 50
quid I'd probably leave this one alone and go straight for it. But as
I'm not that lucky the more practical solution /for me/ is to see if I
can (gently) take it to bits and locate the problem. If in so doing I
make the motor un-exchangeable I'm no worse off, I've still got a duff
motor on what I think I've found is a 1993 washing machine so will
probably have to get a new machine?

Which reminds me. I have a radio stat thats ceased to deliver its all.

Must go and slap some DC on ot and see what gives..

Good luck .. ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

find a place that does *exchange* motors.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 02:43:05 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

p.s. I think I've found a couple of site selling new motors and they
are around 220 quid! I wonder if a local motor 're-winder' would do it
cheaper?

find a place that does *exchange* motors.

Yes, I get it, but of the searches I've done for appliance spares on
the net (all the real shops were closed yesterday evening) those that
do 'exchange' units, don't show one for my model.

But I'm still looking! ;-)

Now if you happen to have some details for this "tiny man in a tiny
shop off the Exning road in Newmarket" please ... ?

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. I just spoke to the spares place I got my tumble dryer parts from
... £317.99 for a new motor ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

p.s. I think I've found a couple of site selling new motors and they
are around 220 quid! I wonder if a local motor 're-winder' would do it
cheaper?

find a place that does *exchange* motors.

Yes, I get it, but of the searches I've done for appliance spares on
the net (all the real shops were closed yesterday evening) *those that
do 'exchange' units, don't show one for my model.

But I'm still looking! ;-)

Now if you happen to have some details for this "tiny man in a tiny
shop off the Exning road in Newmarket" please ... ?

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. I just spoke to the spares place I got my tumble dryer parts from
.. *£317.99 for a new motor ...

On mine, I managed to find the same motor but for a different model
and had to swap over the belt pulleys. Otherwise I think mine was
more like £120.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , T i m
scribeth thus
wrote:

p.s. I think I've found a couple of site selling new motors and they
are around 220 quid! I wonder if a local motor 're-winder' would do it
cheaper?

find a place that does *exchange* motors.

Yes, I get it, but of the searches I've done for appliance spares on
the net (all the real shops were closed yesterday evening) those that
do 'exchange' units, don't show one for my model.

But I'm still looking! ;-)

Now if you happen to have some details for this "tiny man in a tiny
shop off the Exning road in Newmarket" please ... ?

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. I just spoke to the spares place I got my tumble dryer parts from
.. £317.99 for a new motor ...

Bloody extortionate!. Watts it made out of?..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 03:47:23 -0800 (PST), adder1969
wrote:

p.s. I just spoke to the spares place I got my tumble dryer parts from
.. *£317.99 for a new motor ...

On mine, I managed to find the same motor but for a different model
and had to swap over the belt pulleys. Otherwise I think mine was
more like £120.

Sfunny, I was just wandering around ebay and you can buy a new motor
for other brands for about 60 quid and that got me wondering ...

Assuming most of these motors are similar (stator, brush / rotor,
tacho wires) and most seem to have the poly-V belt drive spindle it's
possibly just down to the mounting bracketry (nothing that couldn't be
re-fabricated with a bit of ingenuity)?

What' sooo frustrating for me is this motor sits and works happily
(and very quietly) on the floor ... so near yet .... :-(

I've been looking around at replacement machines and it seems, like
the toaster, you have to spend a lot of money to get to the build and
running quality of our existing machine. Like, something that I'd not
considered was the running noise. Many reviews state that the newer
(cheaper) ranges of machines can be noisier (especially with the
higher spin speeds) and I can't say I've EVER walked past our AEG when
it's at any part of the cycle and considered the noise levels
(suggesting it's pretty quiet)?

One site suggested that to find the build quality / sound levels /
expected lifetime of our existing machine we would now have to go to a
Miele (top level AEG being just under a 'std' Miele?).

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 12:04:29 +0000, tony sayer
wrote:

p.s. I just spoke to the spares place I got my tumble dryer parts from
.. £317.99 for a new motor ...

Bloody extortionate!.

Indeed ...

Watts it made out of?..

Well, at that price I guess they are hand made on demand (I can't see
anyone stocking them eh)?

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

p.s. I think I've found a couple of site selling new motors and they
are around 220 quid! I wonder if a local motor 're-winder' would do it
cheaper?

find a place that does *exchange* motors.

Yes, I get it, but of the searches I've done for appliance spares on
the net (all the real shops were closed yesterday evening) those that
do 'exchange' units, don't show one for my model.

But I'm still looking! ;-)

Now if you happen to have some details for this "tiny man in a tiny
shop off the Exning road in Newmarket" please ... ?

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. I just spoke to the spares place I got my tumble dryer parts from
.. �317.99 for a new motor ...

Go to yellow pages and look under domestic appliance repairs.

Get phoning.

BTW here is a copy of a reply to an Email I sent last night. ;-)

Thank you for your enquiry to the Sunvic Technical Helpdesk.
Detailed our response to your query.
Hopefully this will address your issues.
If you have any further queries, do not hesitate to contact us
either by phone 01698 810945 or e-mail

We don't want to have disgruntled customers. You should get
significantly longer life from this product. If you supply me with your
address I'll arrange to have a replacement sent to you free of charge.

----- Original Message ----- From: XXXXXXXXX
Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 2:51 AM
Subject: TLX 1206

Yesterday I phoned you about a TLX1206 RF receiver that had given up

the ghost after just over a year ..

You informed me it was out of warranty.
No spares were available.

I have been unable to source the receiver on its own anywhere, only

sold as a pair with the RFD thermostat..Despite the fact that it
allegedly will work with multiple thermostats..

So, after a year of use, at significant cost, I have to spend 75 quid

again on a complete new system?

Tell me ONE good reason why I would EVER buy a Sunvic unit again. For

ANYTHING, Or recommend that anyone else does.

Yours

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 13:19:33 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Go to yellow pages and look under domestic appliance repairs.

Have been ..

Get phoning.

Have been, as yet, zilch. (Even spoke to a motor rewinder who said it
would cost more than a new machine).

BTW here is a copy of a reply to an Email I sent last night. ;-)

Thank you for your enquiry to the Sunvic Technical Helpdesk.
Detailed our response to your query.
Hopefully this will address your issues.
If you have any further queries, do not hesitate to contact us
either by phone 01698 810945 or e-mail

We don't want to have disgruntled customers. You should get
significantly longer life from this product. If you supply me with your
address I'll arrange to have a replacement sent to you free of charge.

Result, now get a new motor for my AEG please!

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
p.s. I just spoke to the spares place I got my tumble dryer parts from
.. *£317.99 for a new motor ...

On mine, I managed to find the same motor but for a different model
and had to swap over the belt pulleys. *Otherwise I think mine was
more like £120.

Sfunny, I was just wandering around ebay and you can buy a new motor
for other brands for about 60 quid and that got me wondering ...

I think with mine it was something like the actual replacement model
was old/obselete/expensive and the newer ones were for faster spin
machines but had exactly the same frame and connections. The only
difference was the pulley. I spent quite a bit of time looking on the
internet for my model *and* for others to see what fits what. That
meant I could search on more terms to see if there was anything out
there. I think my replacement was something like 55 quid.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 13:30:59 GMT, wrote:

I recently replaced my aging AEG with a miele. seems quite good.

They seem to have a good rep ...

The denmise
of the aEG was a programmer fault.

Ok .. and a part I probably try to hard to fix (too complex).

Several years ago I replaced the motor
with a second hand one from a local shop due to a burnt out armature.

Ok ..

I may
still have the old one.

Like you do ;-)

If you can post a picture somewhere I could check,

Ok, well if you would mind emailing me I could send one to you
directly (I don't have posting page / blog / Facebook nonsense) ;-)

and I could post on the stator if it would fit for the cost of the postage.

Well you are very kind, thanks.

I think the first step then (as it seems an exchange motor might be
unlikely) could be to take this one to bits and see what I find.

All the best and thanks again ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
p.s. I just spoke to the spares place I got my tumble dryer parts from
.. *£317.99 for a new motor ...

On mine, I managed to find the same motor but for a different model
and had to swap over the belt pulleys. *Otherwise I think mine was
more like £120.

Sfunny, I was just wandering around ebay and you can buy a new motor
for other brands for about 60 quid and that got me wondering ...

I think with mine it was something like the actual replacement model
was old/obselete/expensive and the newer ones were for faster spin
machines but had exactly the same frame and connections.

Ok ..

The only
difference was the pulley.

The 'pulley' on this one is just a slightly enlarged 'nose' on the
motor spindle, probably 20mm diameter?

I spent quite a bit of time looking on the
internet for my model *and* for others to see what fits what.

I've done a bit of that this morning but there doesn't seem to be a
wealth of that model or it's counterparts about. I think it comes from
an era when an AEG Model X was about the only version they made and
everything else was different? Now with most models of everything made
by just a few big manufacturers there is a lot of cross usage hence
compatibility?

That
meant I could search on more terms to see if there was anything out
there.

Understood and what I found with the Zanussi tumble dryer:

Part 1234, "Also fits insert huge list of makes and models here"

I think my replacement was something like 55 quid.

I think I'd go for that. The last time I fixed this machine (bearings
/ seal) we had a very local and very old-school domestic appliance
shop where you could rummage through wooden draws with him till you
found something that looked right. Now it's more "the computer says
no" :-(

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 14:07:44 GMT, wrote:

On 22 Jan,
T i m wrote:

Ok, well if you would mind emailing me I could send one to you
directly (I don't have posting page / blog / Facebook nonsense) ;-)

Reply to works if you change lycos to yahoo.

Cheers, thanks.

I'll send a couple of pics off now ..

T i m