Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Washing machine motor tripping RCD?

Graham. wrote:
"T i m" wrote in message
Hi All,

The washing machine (AEG Lavamat 6100 Digitronic), seeing the recent
attention the tumble dryer has had (when I replaced it's bearings) has
decided it want's some TLC and started tripping the RCD, again. ;-(

It did it a while good ago when a good blow through with the air line
and a new pair of brushes had it running ok (I changed the bearings
and seal a few years before that).

So, with the motor earth isolated from 'earth' all runs ok, earth the
motor and the RCD trips. With the motor running I generally see ~30VAC
between the motor chassis and ground.

The fault seems to between the field coils (stator?) and earth,
measuring around 18k ohms on my DMM, even after another good blow
through with an air line.

I am wondering if some carbon has got down to where the external
wiring joins the stator windings and is conducting to the motor frame?

The next step may be to try and strip the motor further and see if I
can get the stator coil out and see if I can see / measure anything?

Any other thoughts / ideas please?

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. I guess if it was on the non RCD side of my CU I wouldn't even
know there was a problem (well, till it caught fire or whatever)?

IINAE, but if I was I reckon the inventor of the RCD will gave contributed

significantly to my annual income :-)

When I had the same problem it was carbon deposits on the plastic
brush-carriers.
With the action you have outlined you will find the cause easily.

In my case it wasn't. I had a meter across just the coils and frame. 18k.

So don't expect too much.