Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Canchippy Canchippy is offline

Default Turned Piece The End Point OR A Step To The End Point?

Charlie, this whole question has been done over so many times and on
so many different forums it is difficult to add anything new.
Personally when a Raffan bowl is held up against a Bin Pho piece I
know which one I prefer. It has been said many times that if the form
is good then decoration of any sort only adds. If that is the extra
Buzz then it doesn't work for me. I find it very hard to look past the
decorations and find the Buzz in the form or the wood. I tried to
address the modern concept of surface embellishment at our Guild show
and tell one week. I showed and antique 14" butter bowl that I have
owned for about 30 years, purchased prior to my turning addiction. My
question to the members was that this bowl has tool marks both inside
and outside. They are in the form of very fine beads about 1/16" in
size and appear to be the finish cut from a tool either hand held or
post mounted. Today it would probably be unacceptable because it
wasn't smooth and lustrous. Back then it was an every day kitchen
user. The amount of crud that collected in those minute grooves is
still evident. So what brought about the new order of finish?
Aesthetics? Cleanliness? Tactile BUZZ? Why do we now go back and do
surface treatments on bowls that are just to be looked at and serve no
practical use. Beats me! The members I showed this to were also unable
to give any reasons either. So I have to say that all this comes down
to is fashion and what is considered "up-market" and can hopefully
fetch a higher price. The only BUZZ from most of it is a green one. Is
it art or artistic? Don't even want to go there. My $.02 worth.