Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair,misc.rural
CJT CJT is offline

Default Lost Electricity

Bruce Richmond wrote:

On Jan 20, 5:11 pm, CJT wrote:

hobbes wrote:

Hi,

Maybe the simplest answer is the best. The guy reading the meter made
a mistake and copied down one of the digits incorrectly. Hence your
high bill. I would simply cal up the power company, explain the
situation and ask them to re-read your meter. Also you can check your
meter reading with the one on your bill. Did the guy read it
correctly?

Best, Mike.

That conflicts with:

a) his read of the meter shortly after receiving the bill confirming the
reasonableness of the reading

If the previous reading was an estimate and the latest one an actual
reading, reading the meter after the latest reading would confirm that
it was correct but tell you nothing about the previous reading. If
that previous estimate was low it would show up as a higher usage
since then to get up to the real reading.

I believe that possibility has already been rejected in an earlier
part of the thread.

b) other households in the area experiencing the same thing

If his previous reading was an estimate it is likely that theirs were
as well. Nobody checked the previous readings because their bills had
not gone up.

snip