Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default How not to wire the pool area

On 2008-01-21, Leo Lichtman wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote: (clip)the water is probably well grounded through the
plumbing which
recirculates it through the filters -- so get yourself between the hot
side and most of the pool and you are at significant risk.(clip) But with
the water pouring out of all of the
connector holes, I consider it more likely that the power cord has been
replaced with a hose of the same diameter and color, and water is being
pumped through it instead of electrons. :-)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
So you are really at risk of being watercuted, and the discussion about the
risk is only academic,

Agreed -- except if someone decides to try it based on the
images.

but let's pursue it anyway. The outlet strip, if it
were really connected, would have a hot and a common. Water would carry
current between the two, mostly INSIDE the power strip. If it didn't blow
the breaker, the water inside the strip would heat up, and maybe start to
boil. This would be the main path for the current. If you imagine what the
potential field around that floating outlet strip would look like, it is
easy to see the voltage gradients a short distance away would be very low.
I doubt you would even feel a tingle if you were a few feet away.

This is assuming that the return and ground wires are intact.
If only the hot wire is intact, then there would be a gradient between
the hot side of the connectors on the outlet strip and the point at
which the water was pumped out of or into the pool for filtration. And
if the pool were a poured concrete one instead of a plastic lined one
with relatively soft fill around it, then *any* path between the hot
pins and the container of the pool would have similar gradients.

I'm not busy right now. If someone will pay my round trip airfare, I will
volunteer to walk around in the pool with the power on. :-).

I would not (and I don't suggest that you do so either)-- I just
don't trust the outlet strip, the extension cord into which it is
plugged, and perhaps even the wiring at the breaker box. They *may* all
be good -- but I am not betting my life on it.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564