Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG DanG is offline

Default 'Stoopid' door question...

Walk up to your bedroom door. The door will be opening away from
you, swinging into the room. The door will be flush with the
inside bedroom wall surfaces. If the hinges are on your right
hand side, it is a right hand door. If you had the door open, you
put your back to the hinges, your right arm would be the door
swinging till it latches flush on the inside bedroom wall surface.

Walk up to your closet door. the door will be opening toward you,
swinging away from the closet. The door will be flush with the
outside wall surfaces. If the hinges are on your right hand side,
it is a left hand door also known as a right hand reverse. Open
the door, put your back to the hinges, your left arm is now the
one swinging like the door does. It can swing until it latches
against the door stops, it will be flush with the
outside-the-closet surface.

Interior doors do NOT have thresholds. No door can swing as you
tried to draw, they cannot go past the door stops, they have to be
flush on the swinging side, the hinge barrels have to stick out on
the side of the jamb where the door opens.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"a" wrote in message news:I8Skj.13007$yQ1.609@edtnps89...
DanG wrote:
You are really close to having it figured out.

Pat gave you the correct answer in the first response. Forget
inswing and outswing. Put your back to the proposed hinge side
of the door, whichever hand and arm would be the door is the
"hand" of the door. The normal way to look at a door is
standing on the approach side with the door swinging away from
you. If the door pulls toward you, it is a "reverse" door in
commercial hardware parlance. This only makes a difference on
mortise locks and some closers and hold open devices although
most of them have become reversible. A left hand door is the
same as a right hand reverse door, it is a great system for
people who deal with it and understand it. Avoid the
confusion -

Just stay with the "back to the hinges" method, you can't go
wrong.

OK - cool, but my problem now is that every prehung *interior*
LH door that I've seen (so far) has a "threashold". Not a real
one, but if I were to install it, it would be 'sunk in' 4".
I want:

| |
--- ----
/