Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair,misc.rural
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Lost Electricity

wrote in message
On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 11:12:10 -0600, Steve IA
wrote:

ransley wrote:

Get a clamp on amp meter that goes to 0,01 amp, not found a stores but
electric supply houses, a 35$ Greenlee is good. Clamp on each circut
on your panel to check consumption and compare it to what is plugged
in by their watt ratings, then check with everything off, then
unplugged. You might find a direct short to ground.

Can two extension cords, plugged together and covered with ice and snow
cause a direct short without breaking the circuit breaker?

Thanks
Steve

I'm a farmer and every winter I have these livestock tank heaters
connected by extension cords. I often plug 2 cords together. This
year we had a bad ice storm come early. I normally try to lift the
cords out and on top of the snow, and also usually tape a plastic bag
around the plugs. This year bad weather came early and the ice/slush
froze and all cords are buried. Where they plug together, I recently
found holes melted in the snow. Obviously there is some leakage.
Yet, these are all plugged into GFI outlets. I highly doubt this
would amount to much loss though.

What you are seeing with the plugs is probably just a loose or bad
connection. It may not even be worth worring about. If it was much loss
to the ground , the GFI would trip. It only takes a few miliamps of leakage
to trip the GFI. Not enough to be noticiable on the electric bill, Maybe
a dime a month.